2905 East PCH, Corona Del Mar, CA.
Current Use: Film/First Run
Seating: Slope 930 Seats
Located in the affluent ocean side community of Corona Del Mar, the Port Theatre was opened by Western Amusement Co. in 1949. The theatre was operated strictly as a first run venue, until the mid 70′s, when foreign film programming was introduced. In 1989, the Port was taken over by Landmark Theatres and run as an art house, until being shuttered in 1998. Over the ensuing years, numerous plans were proposed for reopening the dormant venue, but none of these proposals proved financially feasible. In the summer of 2007, a permit was granted for the building’s demolition and plans were announced to redevelop the property.
Built with a blue, nautical theme exterior, complete with sail shaped signage, the Port was positioned directly beside the Pacific Coast Highway, acting as somewhat of an eccentric landmark amid the conservative architecture of the area. The interior featured a small, non descript lobby/concession stand that led to a relatively large auditorium, seating 580 on the floor level and 350 in the balcony, which continued the venue’s nautical theme. Ultimately sealing the theatre’s modern fate, the Port was built without a parking lot or air conditioning (during the theatre’s heyday, small paper fans were issued to patrons).
Update 1/26/08: The current owner of the Port has announced plans to reopen the venue as a cinema. Initial plans call for an extensive remodel of the theatre, changing out the traditional cinema configuration for an upscale, lounge design.
2008 – 2010 Remodel
Click on images for larger view